In a strongly worded statement that has reignited international attention on one of Africa’s most contentious water disputes, U.S. President Donald Trump has once again sounded the alarm over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), describing it as a direct threat to Egypt’s survival and accusing Ethiopia of building the dam with significant U.S. financial support.
President Trump said the massive hydropower project on the Blue Nile “was built largely with American money” and warned that its operations could critically disrupt the flow of water to downstream Egypt. “The dam has one big problem—it doesn’t let much water through. And Egypt, as many of you know, lives on the Nile. It’s their blood, their heart, their soul. It’s everything to them,” he said.
“I Saw the Dam From Space”
Trump emphasized that he had closely followed the GERD issue since his first term in office, citing access to satellite imagery during the dam’s construction phase. “I was getting satellite images and watching this huge structure go up. And I said—what are they doing? Are they really going to block the river?” he told the crowd.
While reaffirming the United States’ friendship with both Egypt and Ethiopia, Trump said the situation “shouldn’t have unfolded the way it did.” He added: “We basically funded the thing, and now it’s creating a major crisis. It’s kind of crazy when you think about it.”
The president did not elaborate on the alleged American financing, but his remarks appear to echo previous criticisms he made in 2020 when he accused Ethiopia of acting unilaterally on the project after U.S.-backed negotiations faltered.
Egypt’s Water Security at Stake
Trump’s renewed rhetoric underscores growing international concern over the dam’s long-term implications for regional stability. Egypt, a nation of over 110 million people, relies on the Nile for more than 95% of its freshwater needs. It fears that Ethiopia’s filling and operation of the GERD—without a binding agreement—could severely curtail its water supply in times of drought.
Diplomatic talks between Egypt, Ethiopia, and Sudan have repeatedly stalled despite mediation efforts by the African Union and international partners, including the U.S. “We tried to mediate a solution. We actually got pretty close,” Trump said on Friday. “But the Ethiopians walked away.”
He also referred to Ethiopia and Egypt as “great countries with great people,” but stressed that “you can’t just cut off a river that an entire nation depends on.”
A Message with Global Ripples
Trump’s remarks come at a pivotal moment, not just for Nile Basin politics, but for America’s foreign policy in Africa. As Washington seeks to reassert global leadership on infrastructure and development partnerships across the continent, tensions over transboundary resources like the Nile have emerged as flashpoints.
In a separate statement earlier this week, the president said: “I think if I were in Egypt’s position, I’d want the water to keep flowing too. We’re working on the problem. And I believe it will be resolved.”
So far, Ethiopia has remained firm in asserting its sovereign right to develop the GERD, describing it as essential for electrification and economic growth. The dam, which is Africa’s largest, began generating electricity in 2022 and is expected to reach full capacity within the next year.
As the standoff continues, Egypt has maintained that it will use all available diplomatic and legal tools to safeguard its water rights, while emphasizing the need for a fair and legally binding agreement that protects the interests of all three Nile Basin states.
Whether President Trump’s statements signal renewed U.S. pressure or simply a warning to both parties, they underscore a stark geopolitical reality: the future of the Nile remains one of the most pressing—and explosive—issues on the African continent.

